Monday, January 22, 2007

I Vitelloni



I vitelloni was a decent film, and I definitely appreciated Jacqueline's lecture earlier today to help me understand it better. As she said, the beginning sequence has been copied by other film directors, such as Martin Scorcese. By moving the camera in such a way, the audience feels a part of the film.

I had a lot of ideas to write in here during the film, but I keep forgetting my notebook. The thing that jumped out at me during this film was Fellini's use of comic relief/"real-life" comedy. For instance, when Alberto is dressing up for the festival and is wearing all the make-up, it's hard for the audience to take him seriously when he tells his sister they will have it out. Similarly, it's also hard to take him seriously the next morning, when he's yelling after the car.....and he's wearing a dress...and has a stuffed bra. It's supposed to be a dramatic sequence, but his costume balances this with comedy. Also, when Fausto's father beats him, the drama of this event is contrasted with Signor Michele being happy about the beating. Use of this device also occured in Lo sceicco bianco, when Wanda attempts to commit suicide.

My favorite part of the movie is the festival, when Alberto gets incredibly drunk and is dancing with the clown head. Then, he brings the clown head with him, and when his friend drags him home, he's still dragging it behind him.

1 comment:

Michael Anthony said...

I like what Bondanella has to say about the dancing scene in The Cinema book, and I really got a kick out of the routine as well.